Left Outer Join Question

12

Left Outer Join Question

randyleesmith
This post was updated on .
I have 2 Universe files.

File 2 is a black list of records (keys) I want to exclude in and active select list of File 1.

I've been looking into this for a little while and am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Docs are not very helpful with any examples on the how to do with this.

I know of ways to deal with this in code, but was hoping for an SQL way to deal with it.

I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Will Johnson
How about a U2 way to deal with it?

File 2 is a black list of records (keys) I want to exclude in and active select list of File 1.

I've been looking into this for a little while and am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Docs are not very helpful with any examples on the how to do with this.

I know of ways to deal with this in code, but was hoping for an SQL way to deal with it.

I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

http://u2-universe-unidata.1073795.n5.nabble.com/Left-Outer-Join-Question-tp42740.html
To start a new topic under U2 - Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from U2 (UniVerse & UniData), click here.
NAML

Re: Left Outer Join Question

McGowan, Ian-2
The usual "pick" way to do this is to create an attribute:

AE DICT FILE1 BLACKLIST
001: I
002: TRANS("FILE2", @ID, 0, 0)  ; or really old-school OCONV(@ID,"TFILE2;X;0;0")
003:
004:
005: 20L
006: S

:GET.LIST L1
1000 Items Selected
:SELECT FILE1 WITH BLACKLIST = ""
600 Items Selected

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Dave Davis-3
This isn't SQL, but uniquery has "NSELECT" that does this.

File 2 is a black list of records (keys) I want to exclude in and active select list of File 1.

I've been looking into this for a little while and am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Docs are not very helpful with any examples on the how to do with this.

I know of ways to deal with this in code, but was hoping for an SQL way to deal with it.

-----
I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Dave Davis
Team Lead, Research & Development

P: 614-875-4910 x108
F: 614-875-4088
E: [hidden email]
        [http://www.harriscomputer.com/images/signatures/HarrisSchools.jpg]

[http://www.harriscomputer.com/images/signatures/DivisionofHarris.gif]<http://www.harriscomputer.com/>
        6110 Enterprise Parkway
Grove City, OH
43123
www.harris-schoolsolutions.com<http://www.harris-schoolsolutions.com>

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Mark Eastwood
Select * from FILE1 where id not in (select id from FILE2)

???

File 2 is a black list of records (keys) I want to exclude in and active select list of File 1.

I've been looking into this for a little while and am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Docs are not very helpful with any examples on the how to do with this.

I know of ways to deal with this in code, but was hoping for an SQL way to deal with it.

-----
I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

****************************************************************************** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be subject to copyright. They are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this message in error please notify AFS immediately by return email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of AFS, except where an authorized sender specifically states them to be the views of AFS. It is your responsibility to verify this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. AFS accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

George Gallen-2
In order to simulate select lists in SQL , I create a temporary table, and write the keys I'm
Looking for as col1

INSERT into temporarytable col1 (SELECT key from file1 where .....)   ** My equvilent to SaveList

Now assuming file2 has similar keys your working with as in file1

Now you SELECT file2 where .... and key NOT IN (SELECT col1 FROM temporarytable)   ** My equivalent to ReadList and Select (or NSELECT in this case)

George

This isn't SQL, but uniquery has "NSELECT" that does this.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Bill Haskett
Then, there's always:

:SELECT FILE1
xxx items selected.
 >NSELECT FILE 2
yyy items selected.

You can also do the same as noted below with an "EVAL" command. e.g.

:select FILE1 WITH EVAL "TRANS('FILE2', @ID, 0, 0)" = ""
xxx items selected.

Bill

> The usual "pick" way to do this is to create an attribute:
>
> AE DICT FILE1 BLACKLIST
> 001: I
> 002: TRANS("FILE2", @ID, 0, 0)  ; or really old-school OCONV(@ID,"TFILE2;X;0;0")
> 003:
> 004:
> 005: 20L
> 006: S
>
> :GET.LIST L1
> 1000 Items Selected
> :SELECT FILE1 WITH BLACKLIST = ""
> 600 Items Selected

In this case both file have the same key.

Thanks for all the options.

Been going over the Universe SQL Reference Doc's but they didn't give me enough detail.

I think, a long time ago I have used NSELECT before.
I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

McGowan, Ian-2
I love learning little tidbits like this, that's awesome!

> The usual "pick" way to do this is to create an attribute:
>
> AE DICT FILE1 BLACKLIST
> 001: I
> 002: TRANS("FILE2", @ID, 0, 0)  ; or really old-school
> OCONV(@ID,"TFILE2;X;0;0")
> 003:
> 004:
> 005: 20L
> 006: S
>
> :GET.LIST L1
> 1000 Items Selected
> :SELECT FILE1 WITH BLACKLIST = ""
> 600 Items Selected

I've found that you can keep on going too as long as the keys are the same.

:SELECT FILE1
xxx items selected.
>NSELECT FILE 2
yyy items selected.
>NSELECT FILE 3
zzz items selected.

Turns out I may need to do it this way.

Cool.
I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Anthonys Lists
On 03/03/2014 19:06, randyleesmith wrote:

> I've found that you can keep on going too as long as the keys are the same.
>

> :SELECT FILE1
> xxx items selected.
>> NSELECT FILE 2
> yyy items selected.
>> NSELECT FILE 3
> zzz items selected.
>
> Turns out I may need to do it this way.
>
> Cool.

u2 neither knows nor cares how you get a select list, so each subsequent
NSELECT doesn't know that the current list is the result of an NSELECT
rather than a SELECT.

The other way to do it is
SELECT FILE1 TO 1
SELECT FILE2 TO 2
SELECT FILE3 TO 3
and then use commands that combine select lists. I can't remember what
they are because I've never used them.

Cheers,
Wol

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Bernard Lubin-2
The Command that you are looking for is MERGE.LIST

EG

SELECT FILE1 TO 1
SELECT FILE2 TO 2
MERGE.LIST 1 INTERSECT 2 TO 3

Rgds
Bernard Lubin

Bernard Lubin
System Group Developer

549 Blackburn Rd  Mount Waverley
VIC 3149 Australia
P: +61 3 9535 2222
F: +61 3 9535 2274
E: [hidden email]
W: pentanasolutions.com

Pentana Solutions accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Bernard Lubin
System Group Developer

549 Blackburn Rd  Mount Waverley
VIC 3149 Australia
P: +61 3 9535 2222
F: +61 3 9535 2274
E: [hidden email]
W: pentanasolutions.com

Pentana Solutions accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

On 03/03/2014 19:06, randyleesmith wrote:

> I've found that you can keep on going too as long as the keys are the same.
>

> :SELECT FILE1
> xxx items selected.
>> NSELECT FILE 2
> yyy items selected.
>> NSELECT FILE 3
> zzz items selected.
>
> Turns out I may need to do it this way.
>
> Cool.

u2 neither knows nor cares how you get a select list, so each subsequent NSELECT doesn't know that the current list is the result of an NSELECT rather than a SELECT.

The other way to do it is
SELECT FILE1 TO 1
SELECT FILE2 TO 2
SELECT FILE3 TO 3
and then use commands that combine select lists. I can't remember what they are because I've never used them.

Cheers,
Wol
Message  protected by DealerGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.
http://www.pentanasolutions.com

https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1J6xBjB1pg/5xrs5L4i5SL8ElB4DyYMKj/1.507

Re: Left Outer Join Question

randyleesmith
I must be doing something wrong.

When I try this I get;

SELECT FILE1 TO 1
SELECT FILE2 TO 2
MERGE.LIST 1 INTERSECT 2 TO 3

SELECT list 1 is not active.
I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Baakkonen, Rodney A (Rod)      46K-2
What ECl type are you using. If you are using 'P' instead of 'U', use the lowercase verb and it should work

select FILE1 TO 1
select FILE2 TO 2
MERGE.LIST 1 INTERSECT 2 TO 3

I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this email in error,
please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown.
This email transmission may contain confidential information.  This
information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to
whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.  Please delete it from
your files if you are not the intended recipient.  Thank you for your
compliance.  Copyright (c) 2014 Cigna

Re: Left Outer Join Question

David A. Green
Remove the TO 3 on the MERGE command.

David A. Green
(480) 201-7953
DAG Consulting

I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Bill Haskett
If you on UniData and you're in PICK mode then you have to lower case
this kind of thing, since such PRIME style stuff only works in the
UniData parser mode.  So, try this:

3 Dev (0)-> SELECT ADDRBOOK WITH MAILLIST NE "" AND WITH MAILLIST_OWNERS
= "[BOD]"

309 records selected to list 0.

SAVE-LIST BILL1
Overwriting existing saved list.
309 key(s) saved to 1 record(s).
SELECT ADDRBOOK WITH CUSTOMERS NE ""

114 records selected to list 0.

SAVE-LIST BILL2
114 key(s) saved to 1 record(s).
get.list BILL1 TO 1
309 records retrieved to list 1.
get.list BILL2 TO 2
114 records retrieved to list 2.
merge.list 1 UNION 2 TO 0
423 record(s) selected.
3 Dev (0)>>

...and here we are with 423 items selected as the active select list.

HTH,

Bill

> I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Bernard Lubin-2
Just retried it on a couple of servers, AIX and Linux running different version of UniVerse and am not getting your error.

Are you running UniVerse or UniData.  Not too sure what the syntax would be on UniData

[...]

https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1J6znFV8yk/enIHXI5PduuibDphvUC9e/4.239

Re: Left Outer Join Question

randyleesmith
I'm on Universe for this.

I will try your options next time I'm on the system.

Thanks for all the help.
I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

larryh-2
Works for me under UV 10.2.7 (PIOPEN flavor) on AIX:

>SELECT GCRS01007.BP TO 1

74 record(s) selected to SELECT list #1.
>SELECT LGH.BP TO 2

176 record(s) selected to SELECT list #2.
>MERGE.LIST 1 INTERSECT 2 TO 3

20 record(s) selected to SELECT list #3.

Larry Hiscock
Western Computer Services

> I'm on Universe for this.
>
> I will try your options next time I'm on the system.
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>

> -----
> I used to be an Optimist until I knocked over the glass.

Re: Left Outer Join Question

Gregor Scott-2
Just checking the obvious cause...

Are there any items in FILE1 to be selected?

Gregor Scott
System Group Manager