UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Dave Taylor-5
I have had a problem compiling a program in Unidata 7.1.0 that is taken from
Universe that uses an EXECUTE statement with the RTNLIST option.

To test this in its simplest  form, I entered the following test program and
got the following result after compiling it:

ED BP TEST
0001    EXECUTE "SELECT CLIENTS " RTNLIST 1
0002    END

Compiling TEST with the command BASIC BP TEST produced the following error
message:

"Misuse of reserved word 'RTNLIST'
Expecting: end-of-file,END

This program appears to comply with the syntax described in the UniData
Commands Reference manual with the exception that it does not contain an "ON
connection" phrase which appears to not be an option but is described as
"UniData no longer supports this parameter, but is remains for syntax
compatibility".

Since I don't know what a "connection" is,  I tried adding X="" and the phrase
ON X before the RTNLIST option in the EXECUTE statement and still got the same
error message.

EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option works fine in Universe.

Any suggestions?

tia,

Dave

Dave Taylor
President
Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.
49 Aspen Way
Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274
800-SYSMARK (800-797-6275)
(O) 310-544-1974
(C) 310-561-5200
(P) 800-339-1497
(F) 310-377-3550
Your Source for Integrated EDI Translation and DataSync Integration
www.sysmarkinfo.com
-------
u2-users mailing list

Re: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Gordon J Glorfield
I'd never seen the RTNLIST clause until I moved from UniData to UniVerse.
In your example replace the RTNLIST with TO as in:

EXECUTE "SELECT CLIENTS TO 1"

This syntax works for both UD and UV.

HTH,
Gordon

Gordon J. Glorfield
Sr. Applications Developer
UnitedHealthcare's Mid-Atlantic Health Plans
301-360-8839

[hidden email] wrote on 03/30/2006 02:26:50 PM:

> I have had a problem compiling a program in Unidata 7.1.0 that is taken
from
> Universe that uses an EXECUTE statement with the RTNLIST option.

> To test this in its simplest  form, I entered the following test program
and
> got the following result after compiling it:

> ED BP TEST
> 0001    EXECUTE "SELECT CLIENTS " RTNLIST 1
> 0002    END

> Compiling TEST with the command BASIC BP TEST produced the following
error
> message:

> "Misuse of reserved word 'RTNLIST'
> Expecting: end-of-file,END

[snip]

-------
u2-users mailing list

Re: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Jerry Banker
Flavor?

-------
u2-users mailing list

Re: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Dave Taylor-5
Jerry,

I haven't been able to find any reference to "flavor"  or "PICK" in the UD
documentation, so I haven't declared a flavor (as far as I know).

I would like to declare a "PICK" flavor but I don't know how to do that.

-------
u2-users mailing list

RE: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Ed Clark-3
Unidata doesn't have flavors, which isn't to say that it's tasteless.
You have the basictype and ecltype commands instead. Pluss all those
udtoptions.

colin.alfke
UniData doesn't call it a "flavour". See the UDT.OPTIONS manual. It has
a section on which ones to set to provide greater "Pick" compatibility.
Also look at the $BASICTYPE command.

The big one is to turn UDT.OPTION 2 ON.

Hth
Colin Alfke
Calgary Canada

-------
u2-users mailing list

Re: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Gordon J Glorfield
ECLTYPE "P"
BASICTYPE "P"

-------
u2-users mailing list

Re: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Dave Taylor-5
Jerry, Bruce,

Thank you both for your questions and suggestions.

They led me to ECLTYPE=P and BASICTYPE="P".

The program compiled *after* I set BASICTYPE="P", even though there is no
mention in the documentation regarding the EXECUTE statement that  the
RTNLIST option only works when BASICTYPE is set to "P".

I looks like the Unidata documentation isn't any better than the Universe
documentation.

Without you and others in this group, I'd be lost.

Thanks again for your help,

Dave

Dave Taylor
President
Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.
49 Aspen Way
Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274
800-SYSMARK (800-797-6275)
(O) 310-544-1974
(C) 310-561-5200
(P) 800-339-1497
(F) 310-377-3550
Your Source for Integrated EDI Translation and DataSync Integration
www.sysmarkinfo.com

> >I have had a problem compiling a program in Unidata 7.1.0 that is taken
> >from
> > Universe that uses an EXECUTE statement with the RTNLIST option.
> >
> > To test this in its simplest  form, I entered the following test program
> > and
> > got the following result after compiling it:
> >
> > ED BP TEST
> > 0001    EXECUTE "SELECT CLIENTS " RTNLIST 1
> > 0002    END
> >
> > Compiling TEST with the command BASIC BP TEST produced the following
error

> > message:
> >
> > "Misuse of reserved word 'RTNLIST'
> > Expecting: end-of-file,END
> >
> > This program appears to comply with the syntax described in the UniData
> > Commands Reference manual with the exception that it does not contain an
> > "ON
> > connection" phrase which appears to not be an option but is described as
> > "UniData no longer supports this parameter, but is remains for syntax
> > compatibility".
> >
> > Since I don't know what a "connection" is,  I tried adding X="" and the
> > phrase
> > ON X before the RTNLIST option in the EXECUTE statement and still got
the

> > same
> > error message.
> >
> > EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option works fine in Universe.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > tia,
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > Dave Taylor
> > President
> > Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.
> > 49 Aspen Way
> > Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274
> > 800-SYSMARK (800-797-6275)
> > (O) 310-544-1974
> > (C) 310-561-5200
> > (P) 800-339-1497
> > (F) 310-377-3550
> > Your Source for Integrated EDI Translation and DataSync Integration
> > www.sysmarkinfo.com
> > -------
> > u2-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > To unsubscribe please visit http://listserver.u2ug.org/
-------
u2-users mailing list

Re: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Bruce Decker
This is a reply to a old post but since this is the top search result for RTNLIST, I'll post a reply with useful info.  Unidata's BASIC compiler seems to be quite particular about the ORDER of the clauses on an Execute.  Put RTNLIST, RETURNING AND CAPTURING in the wrong order and you'll see a error like this:

Compiling Unibasic: mysource\test4 in mode 'p'.
main program: syntax error at or before
<line 7> EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RETURNING junk RTNLIST l.voc CAPTURING screen;
         ------------------------------------------^
Misuse of reserved word 'RTNLIST'
Expecting: end-of-file,END

compilation failed

Here is the code with examples of proper order of the clauses on an execute and the final example of EXECUTE producing the failure message above...

done = @FALSE
l.voc = \\
i = 0
EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RTNLIST l.voc                                                ; *compiles ok
EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RTNLIST l.voc RETURNING junk                          ; *compiles ok
EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RTNLIST l.voc RETURNING junk CAPTURING screen; *compiles ok
EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RETURNING junk RTNLIST l.voc CAPTURING screen; *fails compile
LOOP
READNEXT id FROM l.voc ELSE done = @TRUE
UNTIL done DO
   i=+ 1
REPEAT
CRT i:\ records counted\
STOP

CRT i:\ records counted\
STOP

Re: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Bill Haskett
Bruce:

Thanks.  This always gets me so I never use the RTNLIST.  :-)

Bill
Untitled Page

> This is a reply to a old post but since this is the top search result for
> RTNLIST, I'll post a reply with useful info.  Unidata's BASIC compiler seems
> to be quite particular about the ORDER of the clauses on an Execute.  Put
> RTNLIST, RETURNING AND CAPTURING in the wrong order and you'll see a error
> like this:
>
> Compiling Unibasic: mysource\test4 in mode 'p'.
> main program: syntax error at or before
> <line 7> EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RETURNING junk RTNLIST l.voc CAPTURING screen;
>           ------------------------------------------^
> Misuse of reserved word 'RTNLIST'
> Expecting: end-of-file,END
>
> compilation failed
>
> Here is the code with examples of proper order of the clauses on an execute
> and the final example of EXECUTE producing the failure message above...
>
> done = @FALSE
> l.voc = \\
> i = 0
> *
> EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RTNLIST l.voc                                 ; *compiles ok
> EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RTNLIST l.voc RETURNING junk                  ; *compiles ok
> EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RTNLIST l.voc RETURNING junk CAPTURING screen ; *compiles ok
> EXECUTE \SELECT VOC\ RETURNING junk RTNLIST l.voc CAPTURING screen ; *fails compile
> *
> LOOP
>     READNEXT id FROM l.voc ELSE done = @TRUE
> UNTIL done DO
>     i=+ 1
> REPEAT
> CRT i:\ records counted\
> STOP

Re: UD PE 7.1.0 - Use of EXECUTE with the RTNLIST option

Rutherford, Marc
Bruce,

The order of the clauses is important.  I always use in the following sequence:

EXECUTE stmt PASSLIST RTNLIST CAPTURING RETURNING

Marc Rutherford
Principal Programmer/Analyst
Advanced Bionics LLC
661 362-1754